Monday, December 28, 2009

Alberta "Birdie" Winona Randolph Parker

Hey, look at me, I finally made it to the ripe old age of 85.
I may not be in such good shape but at least I am alive.
There were times when I wondered about making it, if I really would;
Also times I wondered if I really wanted to, even if I could.

Yes, long years ago there were many times when I had my doubts
When time went much slower and I wondered what life was all about.
There are so many memories as I look back across the years,
Memories filled with laugher, memories filled with tears.

I had three older brothers so very special to me,
Earl was the oldest, then Victor; Percy was the youngest of the three.
I see three brothers all different as I walk down memory lane a lot.
Each one had their place in life and each one filled that special spot.

Our parents decided to move to Texas and we traveled there by train,
Where Dad set up a threshing crew and Mom cooked for them in sun and rain.
Mother's father had already died and Grandma was all alone,
So she asked to keep Percy as she couldn't stand having everyone gone.

In 1907 while in El Campo, a younger brother Raymond joined our family.
I was no longer the baby, that I could plainly see.
Later we traveled by covered wagon to San Angelo, a very small town,
And in 1909 a darling little sister Velma arrived with curls of brown.

Dad had a job and we found friends, so we lived there for quite awhile.
Then Dad heard about Washington's homestead land: all you did was file.
So with our covered wagon and trusty team, we were on the road once more.
Those were really happy days until the cold winds blew and rain began to pour.

The storms grew worse with freezing wind. How could we go on ?
When we hit Amarillo Dad decided he had enough so he sold his team and wagon.
With sad good-byes to loved horses and our dog, we then took the train.
We arrived in Colfax where Dad had a friend, and at once Dad got a job again.

Eventually we arrived in Colville where homestead land was to be had;
Filing on 160 acres on Old Dominion Mountain made a very happy Mom and Dad.
In 1912 another little sister Lois joined our happy group; everything was right.
But I remember times of pain and sorrow like storms in the night.

On such a dark and stormy night after being sick about a day,
Death suddenly took little six-year-old Velma away.
The folks never returned to the Mountain home again.
And during the war they headed to Seattle by train.

I remember how in 1918 on a cold November morn,
How I jumped from an upstairs window because our house was burning down.
From that terrible event all our family suffered pain.
At the hospital I was told I would never walk again.

But Mom's eyes got well and Dad was finally able to talk,
And I remember the joy when I once more was able to walk.
I had learned many things as I traveled along life's highway.
Like growing up meant more responsibilities, more work and much less play.

Then came the time when I got my first job as a telephone "Hello Girl."
From that beginning I gave many other jobs a whirl.
I worked at a hardware store for quite a few years;
From there I went on to work for many years at Sears.

During those very busy years I met a very special man.
Life seems to have a way of taking part in all our dreams and plans.
And as always the years hurried by much too fast, it seemed.
The thought of marriage was an event of which we only dreamed.

We finally decided to set the marriage date for the year 1928,
But Mother suddenly passed away, so for her it was too late.
Since that time there have been many happy births, many a sad good-bye,
But it helps to have a loving partner when sad events make you cry.

It also helps to have a loving partner when you walk down memory lane,
Someone to talk to about those days gone by and help bring them back again,
Remembering when our son Ed arrived and all about his growing up,
Then our darling little daughter Joan arrived and put more happiness in our cup.

It seems building precious memories never really ends,
As we remember all our dear relatives, grandchildren, great-grandchildren,
And all our wonderful and cherished friends.

By Birdie Parker
June 8 1986

Alberta "Birdie" Winona Randolph
born:  8 June 1901 in Clearfield, Taylor county, Iowa
died:   9 January 1989 in Puyallup, Pierce county, Washington
 
wife of Lyle Otis Parker
daughter of Nelson Randolph and Josephine Bennett

No comments:

Post a Comment